Sunday, January 17, 2016

Investments ~

A couple of years ago I studied about the relationship between Paul and Timothy. I learned that what attracted Paul to Timothy in the first place was his knowledge of the scriptures, in combination with his sincere faith, and he was so impressed that he called Timothy into service with him. So, I did a little research on Jewish culture and found, “It was the glory of the Jews that their children from their earliest days were trained in the law. They claimed that their children learned the law from their swaddling clothes and drank it in with their mother’s milk…the law was so imprinted on their heart and mind of a Jewish child that he would sooner forget his own name that he would forget the law…” 

Then I began to think of myself… When my children were younger spent time, energy and money getting them children "ready."Before school started, I took would take them shopping for “cool” clothes and “the latest” tennis shoes...Tennis shoes that they would wear to his weekly tennis lessons...so that they would be able and "ready" to play as an adult...gotta have the option...right...I would tell myself it is an investment for their future. I also taught them letters and their sounds well before they started school... gotta be "ready"...right? I signed them up for football, ballet, and tumbling...that was just what you did ...right..to get them "ready."

Being sure my children were "ready" for things…like school, sports, a social life, college, a career was fine and necessary…but, I am grateful that along the way I began to feel the same burden and angst on getting them ready for their higher calling…in fact, their highest calling? I began to realize that a focus on them knowing the scriptures, knowing God and His attributes, knowing what we believe in light of what others would love for them to believe, and knowing Christ as Lord of their life far outweighs letters and tennis shoes!

As I think of Paul and Timothy I wonder…who will be attracted to my children’s character and faith, and understanding of spiritually deep things...who will be impressed enough to remember them and call upon them…what qualities and knowledge am I instilling in them that will draw people to them…the way someone like Paul was drawn to Timothy… who will be drawn into their lives because of their spiritual character…to minister to them and lead them deeper into life’s journey...deeper into what they are being equipped for...deeper into their calling.

Sooo....did we quit football and tumbling? Did we drop letter memorization...did we forget about the school clothes??? No we did not, that was never the point...but I was and still am convicted to rise up in my children another kind of "ready"...spiritual readiness!!! I am convicted to equip them with knowledge and a love for the scriptures like Timothy’s mother did for him.

Over the years my children and I have memorized Psalm 23... and what God says true love is, and they studied to understand the stories of the patriarchs...and the imprint of the greatest commandment was on their hearts...I was challenged to show them what a treasure their faith is and I pray with all my heart that they have truly owned if for themselves...and that as they leave my house they will be "ready" to live it out in such a way that as others cross their paths, they will be more “attracted” to that genuine faith in their hearts, than their game of tennis!

No comments:

Post a Comment